This château dates back to the 14th century when it was remodelled in a Renaissance style. In 1689 it was the birthplace of the philosopher Charles Louis de Montesquieu.
He spent much time here, even editing some of his text "The Spirit of the Laws" in the library. This château has been immaculately preserved inside; the library contains thousands of books from Montesquieu's era and its furnished rooms maintain the décor you would expect from the 17th century.
It is located in 150 hectares of woodland featuring an English-style park. Guided tours of this important site are available.
- Château de La Brède Avenue du château La Brède
More Bordeaux Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Bordeaux from June 15th 2020
- Happy New Year from Bordeaux!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeBordeaux.com
- Cat swimming lessons in Bordeaux
- Bordeaux in France's top 5 destinations 2019
- Elton John's Farewell Tour in Bordeaux 2019