The fortified citadel at Blaye, standing on the opposite bank of the river Gironde to Fort Médoc, forms, along with Fort Paté, the region's 17th-century defence against river attack.
Built by Vauban, together this group are named the Fortifications of Vauban and are classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site of the citadel saw its first castle in the 7th century. Vauban's fortress though was built in 1689 and took three years.
The largest of the three fortresses, Blaye has both landward and seaward defences with dry ditches dug out of the rock. He incorporated some of the existing defences into his structure to the benefit of the fort. Some elements are still inhabited today. An impressive spot offering a panoramic view.