A mass is held where prayers are said for those who have perished at sea, followed by a procession to the Cross of the Sailors. Afterwards, the sea is blessed by the "Sailors of the Women's Committee Fishermen Basin" who throw a crown into the ocean from aboard the lifeboat.
The mass takes place at the Basilica Notre-Dame - La Chapelle des Marins, normally around 10:00 in the morning of the 25th March. But, over a few days, there festivities and entertainment programs across the town for old and young alike to celebrate the event.
The weekend after the 25th will normally host a fairground with fireworks and numerous rides. Then the feast will be hosted on the Saturday following the 25th.
More Bordeaux Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Bordeaux from June 15th 2020
- Happy New Year from Bordeaux!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeBordeaux.com
- Cat swimming lessons in Bordeaux
- Bordeaux in France's top 5 destinations 2019
- Elton John's Farewell Tour in Bordeaux 2019