If you're driving to Bordeaux this summer, you'll need to keep your foot off the pedal as the French government has just announced that the speed limit on two-lane roads will drop from 90km/h to 80km/h.
This is specific to countryside roads or "secondary roads without a central reservation". The new reduced speed limit will be on trial for two years, from 1st July 2018 to 1st July 2020, when they will assess the effectiveness of the measure.
This change comes after the alarming number of deaths due to roads accidents registered in 2016, reaching nearly 3,500 victims, around a 55% of them registered on secondary roads. Other speed limits will remain the same: 110km/h on four-lane ways, 130km/h on motorways and 50km/h in urban areas. These are lowered in the event of rain.
More Bordeaux Insights...
- Happy New Year from Bordeaux!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeBordeaux.com
- Cat swimming lessons in Bordeaux
- Bordeaux in France's top 5 destinations 2019
- Elton John's Farewell Tour in Bordeaux 2019
- EasyJet Easter 2019 flights go on sale Sept 20th